Monday, November 18, 2013

Getting the FAVOR of a few Film Festivals

Hey folks,

Yes, it's been a little while since I've chimed in, but I have a good excuse - I've been busy making, and then touring with, a little flick called FAVOR.  Many of you reading this already know about the gruesome little drama I wrote and directed, but if you don't yet and want to know more, feel free to check out the website here.

Epic Q&A for FAVOR at the NVFF Sony Lounge
We just concluded our 2013 fest tour with the Napa Valley Film Festival, and it was a pretty terrific experience.  Filmmakers, I highly recommend submitting your work there - that is, unless you don't want to be ears-deep in wine, food, gorgeous scenery and excellent movies.  Seriously, I think it's fair to say I consumed over a full bathtub's worth of booze during the 4 days I was up there, and I didn't pay for a drop of it.  The venue we were assigned, the Sony Lounge, was pitch-perfect for our movie.  A smaller make-shift theater, the Lounge is reserved for "edgier fare", which means the audiences they get are ready for something nasty like FAVOR.  It doesn't hurt that the Lodge staff are all irreverent rule-breakers, wearing fake IDs with names like Cody Pendant, Hugh Jass and Buster Hyman.  The intro given our specific film was quite special - I'll be posting a little video of it on Youtube in the next day or so.  Our screening was packed, the audience loud and responsive, and our Q&A went on for nearly an hour.  Yes, AN HOUR.   I don't think you can ask for much better.

Hugh Jass, NVFF volunteer!


FAVOR is without question an indie film of the new paradigm: a micro-budget, digitally shot affair whose production was largely crowdfunded, with a healthy festival tour and Tugg screenings taking the place of traditional theatrical and a forthcoming digital release.  I'll be sharing specifics in upcoming posts, including hard numbers so anyone who wants to can learn from what we've done, whether it's replicating or avoiding the steps we took.

If you've managed to catch us at any of our screenings thus far, I want to sincerely thank you for supporting our little movie.  And if you haven't yet, look for more screenings coming up in 2014!

Stars Blayne Weaver, Patrick Day and I flank new fan/friend Lee Miller.


Talk at'cha later!
Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment